5.05.2009

Give my regards to Broadway, they clearly need them

The nominations for the 2009 Tony Awards were announced today and while they were pretty much what you'd expect with Billy Elliot leading the pack, there was one choice which made me question the credibility of whoever chose these nominations. It also made me sad for the state of the Great White Way in general if pickins really are this slim.

Constantine Maroulis was nominated for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical for Rock of Ages. I didn't even know we were taking this show seriously as a Broadway musi-cal. Need I mention that Constantine is a washed-up American Idol 6th place winner from four years ago? I'll admit that once upon a time I was enchanted by his flowing locks, melodic voice and famous smoldering stares, but I didn't think that ish could cut it on Broadway! Clearly I was wrong. But even I have grown up and realized that Constantine is a greasy douche bag, so why haven't the people whose opinions really matter?

Also, noticeably absent from the Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play nominations was Harry Potter's penis. Clearly this is an oversight. That lil guy did a damn good job. I guess compared to Constantine even a legitimate penis isn't enough of a dick to get a Tony nomination. Sad.

No comments: