5.07.2009

Blast from the Past: Third Eye Blind

Before we get started, let's just enter this into the record books as what happens when I blog after spending a desperate hour on an online dating site, drinking two glasses of merlot, and deciding it was a good idea to put my fake glasses on and pretend that Im indie. Trust me, merlot and email don't mix, so I am proofreading this entry very carefully.

Blast from the Past: Third Eye Blind!
Remember circa 1997 when you were in circa middle school and this was a band that you could listen to which was mainstream accessible but you still felt like you had a lil rock street cred? That's what 3eb is to me. They broke when I was in 7th grade and I totes copped that shit, meaning their self-titled debut album. Okay, so did a lot of people, but I actually listened to the whole thing and not just "Semi Charmed Life". To this day I can still sing a majority of the album from memory including the sped-up extra-extended bridge in the aforementioned song. Cudos to me. Memories I have of this album include everyone thinking they were so cool and indie for listening to "Jumper", and also "Graduate" playing in The Real World: Seattle while they were white water rafting or something like that. Actually, pretty much 90% of this album made it into that season of The Real World in some form or another. It was just kinda the defining sound of that time. 3eb's second album Blue was also pretty kick A.
Years later, 3eb would play a free show at my college's University Weekend. Everybody went and relished in how much they used to love this band, yet most people only knew two songs. My friend Alex would stare at me in amazement as I sang along with most of the concert, and I would explain that's just how I rolled back in the day. And then another four years later in 2009 I would randomly decide to constantly spin their entire catalogue on my ipod and love every minute of it. With bands from the same era like No Doubt and Sugar Ray reuniting I guess it just feels so gooood. Plus, I never realized it but I guess Stephan Jenkins is kind of a hottie. Yah, I'd tap that....but probably get The Herp in the process.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I am so back into all the mid-90s bands. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, No Doubt, Sublime. Right on with the 3eb Megan. Love them!