5.28.2009

Cow hide ottomans? Hells yes

Merc Bar
SoHo
151 Mercer Street (b/w Houston and Prince Streets)
New York, NY 10012
347-694-4416
www.mercbar.com

Merc Bar almost made me forget that I was in New York City as the atmosphere transported me back to my favorite ski lodge in Pennsylvania. But then I looked around and realized that there were no mullets or flannel shirts to be found and breathed a sigh of relief. The bar is dark and mostly wood-clad with deer-antlers and a hanging canoe for decorative accent. The front area consists of low-lying couches and ottomans (with eclectic prints including what I think was real cowhide!) which create sexy nooks for couples or relaxed lounge areas for group socialization. Just position yourself away from these too-cozy couples. On a nice night the front wall is completely open creating an open-air atmosphere perfect for people watching of the beautiful SoHo crowd. Merc Bar creates a truly unique vibe of a classy-yet-rustic mountain lodge...just make sure not to sit for too long on the cowhide in a short skirt. Leave chafing to the real cowboys.
Rating: 4 stars

No comments: