6.18.2010

"Top Chef" afraid to get freaky?

Top Chef: DC started this week which means the summer TV lineup just got a huge boost, but I need to take umbrage with the first elimination decision for more reasons than one. John got eliminated during the premiere for his maple puff thingey, but it seemed like other contestants got harsher criticism like Jaqueline and Stephen the "hick" from Ohio. (eff you, Tracey, for saying that. don't get me started on you...) I thought the judges would have given John bravery points for attempting a dessert, but then again after seven seasons everyone should know better than to make a dessert on Top Chef. And if you absolutely have to, you make fruit.


More interestingly, I've been noticing a pattern with the first eliminated contestants over the past two seasons of Top Chef. They seem to be quickly eliminating the "freaks" with little culinary reason, which surprises me from a liberal network like Bravo. Are they scared or something? Are they worried the one conservative Bible-loving straight male who watches Bravo is going to be too weirded out? Jen, a young woman with huge gauged ear piercings and neck tats, was eliminated first from Top Chef: Las Vegas, followed by dread-locked John from the DC season who seemed to really love his maple trees if ya know what I mean. The remaining contestants are pretty white-bread, with the exception of flamboyant Arnold who hired a personal stylist and got a facial in preparation for the show (I'm also pretty sure he's a drag performer, unconfirmed though). Clearly he's my favorite.

C'mon, Bravo. Grow a pair and keep the "freaks". America can handle a bad tat or unwashed dreads as long as they bring it. (Hello? Crystal Bowersox?)

1 comment:

Mary R said...

Nah, Bravo did cast him after all, so I doubt the network's not down with the freaks. In fact, I bet they'd love to keep the quirky characters around longer, if possible.

The problem with the first handful of eliminations is there just isn't enough time to accurately assess the competitors (definitely for the viewer, possibly also for the judges).

There are just too many to judge and not enough one on one time, so unless someone is a huge standout or a huge flop, I bet a bunch of that comes down to how established the contestants are prior to the show (resumes, etc).

Also let's be honest, if someone came out with greasy untamed dreads, off kilter glasses and crooked teeth, would you really want to eat the food that person served you? I don't mean to hate, but let's be honest, regardless of personal style, when you're preparing food for other people you need to at least project the appearance of hygiene.

(I know it's likely that dreads dude is more hygienic than his competitors...he may even be the most hygienic of the bunch. But whether the person who served me washed their hands or not, I most definitely want them the LOOK like they washed their hands).