4.04.2009

TOP Shop? Not so much...

I'm probably going to get slammed for this fashionably blasphemous statement, but dare I say that Top Shop is overrated? I felt it my duty as a fashionista to fight the crowds and attend opening weekend of the first ever American location in SoHo, but I was left wondering "for what"?

I waited in line outside the store for exactly twenty two minutes which I didn't think was too unreasonable, especially since they were passing out complimentary water bottles to patient customers-to-be. Nice touch, but when I was admitted to the store (with a semi-sarcastic "Are you ready for this?" from the security guard) I quickly realized that the line was strictly for show as the store itself was not all that crowded, especially compared to several other stores in the area such as You-Know-What 21. The store has a vibrant and upbeat atmosphere with great music (thanks to guest DJs), but I was underwhelmed with the clothing selection, especially because the prices were not as cheap as Top Shop's reputation would lead one to believe. I did manage to score an appointment for a free in-store manicure courtesy of Valley spa as part of Top Shop's opening weekend beauty freebies, but from what I gathered these appointments fill very quickly. After waiting in line for the fitting room for over FORTY minutes and trying on my few selections, nothing struck my fancy enough to make a purchase. I left the store empty handed (though pretty-nailed) over TWO HOURS after initially getting in line.

Except for a few highly overpriced purses, the only lust-worthy item I found was a grey fitted jersey dress with pink and purple ruffled tiers (not listed on the website), but at $80 for a casual dress I couldn't justify the purchase. Though reflecting on its cuteness and perfect fit I may be regretting this decision. Will I break down and subject myself to the line and this foolishness again tomorrow? Stand by...

No comments: