9.09.2009

When fashion meets football

Okay, whose idea of a sick joke is this? This year, New York Fashion Week and the NFL (that's football y'all) regular season start on the same night, tomorrow. I don't think I could come up with two less similar events if I tried. Normally I could care less about this whole NFL kickoff thingey, although they do make a huge show to open the season including performances by the Black Eyed Peas and Tim McGraw. However, this year my beloved Pittsburgh Stillers (that's Steelers to you) are playing against the Tennessee Titans in tomorrow night's all important first game. To me, that would normally involve cheering fervently for the Steelers either from my couch or a dive bar, indulging in many beers, and donning the appropriate apparel to show my team spirit (a pink Steelers jersey, obvi). Instead, tomorrow I have scheduled events to attend for Fashion's Night Out, will probably be sipping champagne, will be wearing some very chic Budget Couture, and may make it home to watch the very end of the game (if I'm lucky). Just look at what happens when you try to make two worlds collide!

Although, this may be a very welcome chain of events for couples. The men can watch their pigskin in peace while the women are too distracted by the fashionable festivities to notice or care. I'm just hoping my boyfriend Big Ben Roethlisberger will understand that unfortunately I have other obligations and won't be able to paint his number on my face and cheer him on from the stands.

Tomorrow's big event, Fashion's Night Out, was jump started by Anna Wintour and Diane Von Furstenberg and brings hundreds of fashion and beauty related businesses across NYC and the world together to simultaneously host events in hopes of creating excitement in the fashion world and stimulating the economy. Events include special promotions and shopping incentives, celebrity appearances, in-store classes and presentations, etc. Honestly, I don't know how much one night is really going to change the economy, or how many people are actually planning on dropping the big bucks during Fashion's Night Out and not just enjoying the spectacle. However, buzz for this event is huge. This weekend I wasn't able to walk more than fifty feet without seeing a storefront grandly advertising their festivities, so they sure got the excitement part down. Many retailers will also be selling the official Fashion's Night Out t-shirt with proceeds benefiting charity, because we're not complete shallow biotches in the fashion industry.

So to sum up tomorrow night: Here we go Stillers, you better WORK!

No comments: