7.07.2009

Emo-untry? Countr-emo?

It must be said that despite the seemingly tell-tale classification, there is by far a genre of music that can make me cry more easily than emo. We're talking full out, immediate, wheezing, ugly crying that ensues when I hear certain...country songs. It ain't pretty. So while we have a good theme running and I'm in an all around sucky mood (Sorry, I really miss Pittsburgh. Work with me here), I felt compelled to compile a list of the top 10 most tear-worthy country songs:

10. Taylor Swift, "Teardrops on My Guitar" - This one is pretty cheesy so it had to be low on the list, but it so perfectly conveys teenage heartbreak and what it's like not to be noticed...so you pour it all out in the music. It just gets me for pathetic girly reasons. (Admittedly almost every subsequent Taylor Swift song was about the exact same thing, but this was the original so it's better)
9. Brad Paisley/Alison Krauss, "Whiskey Lullaby" - Suicide over a lost love. That's all I got to say about that.
8. Darryl Worley, "If Something Should Happen" - A man going into surgery asks his best friend to basically father his children and take care of his wife because he's scared he's going to...well, you know. The description of the scenarios are what gets ya with this one.
7. Trace Adkins, "You're Gonna Miss This" - Watching children grow up and savoring the precious moments. When Trace sang this on the Celebrity Apprentice finale with his daughter in the audience I just lost it.
6. Keith Urban, "Tonight I Wanna Cry" - Ummmm, nuf said? Sometimes we really need to let it all out
5. Rascal Flatts, "Sara Beth (Skin)" - She had cancer so her prom date shaved his head to make her feel better. And he still thought she looked beautiful. She was dancing with her very first true love just like in her daydreams. *Sigh*
4. Brooks & Dunn, "Believe" - This song is simply haunting...in a beautiful way. Old Man Wrigley dies and a young man loses who he perhaps never knew was his best friend. This old man taught him some serious life lessons.
3. Brad Paisley, "Letter To Me" - For some reason I've been hearing this one a lot lately and it gets me every time. Re-living past loves, talking to your teenage self with grown-up wisdom, being proud of said teenage self, and Brad's melodic voice make this one a real tear-jerker.
2. Carrie Underwood, "Just a Dream" - It was hard to pick just one Carrie song for the list since on different days and different levels of PMS, 90% of her music can trigger the waterworks for me. However, I figured an 18-year-old widow with an un-wed fiance taken by war has the most universal tear potential. Runners up: "Don't Forget to Remember Me", "The Night Before (Life Goes On)"
1. Jamey Johnson, "The Dollar" - The son misses his workaholic father and pinches his pennies to literally buy time with his dad?!? Omg how could I not be a blubbering mess? I can't go on...

Country is so the new emo y'all.

No comments: