6.19.2009

Team Danielle!



All anyone's been able to talk about this week has been The Real Housewives of New Jersey and the Table-Flip Heard Round The World. Last night part 2 of the finale "The Last Supper/Director's Cut" aired, and while I didn't find it as enjoyable as the original (being that you knew exactly what was coming), there were some highlights. From a communication student POV, I thought the 4-way split screens that showed a moment from every camera angle at the same time were a fascinating way to simultaneously experience everyone's reaction to drama such as The Book taking its rightful place at the dinner table [above]. It really made you feel like you were there, and thus made me physically duck to avoid flying red wine. I also really enjoyed the bar scene at the end that was left out of the original finale. The fact that Danielle actually stayed for drinks with the other Housewives and their families with minimal dramz shows that deep down they all must be able to tolerate each other more than the original edit led on.

Which brings me to the part where I want to stick up for Danielle. Yes, she has a past, the extent of which we will probably never know the 100% truth. But does it really matter? As Danielle herself points out, it was 25 years ago. People DO change. A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to meet Danielle and chat for a bit, and coincidentally it was the day before her past started to break big time in the news media. She alluded to embarrassing events that were about to be leaked as much as was allowed by contract, and she came right out and said that it was going to be ugly. However, she came across as very genuine, someone who has truly grown into a caring woman and loving mother. She admitted the fact that she has made some mistakes that she is embarrassed by but has moved away from. And though she is a very strong and tough woman, she seemed genuinely hurt by the people who have wronged and betrayed her, past and present. She was someone that I would want in my company and as a friend, which is much more than I can say about someone like Dina who constantly talks shit about people and I'm pretty sure is still lying about revealing The Book. So despite any of her questionable decisions and sexual shenanigans, I am soooooo Team Danielle. Now all we need is for Bravo to make the t-shirts.

No comments: