6.22.2009

Carry on, Sad Panda

I felt it due time that I checked in with news about my good friend, Sad Panda. Since I last wrote about SP, I've had the pleasure of finally seeing him in person! It was a truly great moment in my life. It seems that Sad Panda has taken up a regular Sunday morning post at the corner of Broadway and Wall Street. He's usually seated in a corner by the stock exchange gate and looking quite forlorn. I've encountered him several times now on my way to mass but unfortunately haven't been able to stop and chat because it's early on a Sunday morning so obvi I am running late and hungover.

A change that must be noted about SP's choice in accessories is that the Duane Reade bag is no more, and lately Sad Panda has been seen carrying a small floral patterned purse (seen pictured, from Gothamist). This makes me wonder: perhaps we always wrongly assumed that Sad Panda is a "he"? I'm fine with murses, but no self-respecting male panda would carry a floral bag. Or maybe...Sad Panda is actually a tranny? On SP's Facebook page, he/she chooses not to identify as either gender or state a sexual preference. I like the mystery, but hmmmmm...

But I don't judge. I've come to quite enjoy seeing Sad Panda on a lonely Sunday. As I pass, I've taken to giving a little nod or a slight smile and wave as if to say, "I salute you, Sad Panda, for all that you bring to our fair city. Keep doing what you do."

2 comments:

Sara said...

i've always wanted to see the Sad Panda on a weekend! I think the foral bag must be part of his Sunday best. I still see him with his Daffy's bag when I'm grabbing lunch.

do you mind if i post this on my site?

Megan Kustra said...

Sure thing! Good point, maybe Sad Panda does dress up a lil for the weekends. I unfortunately didn't take the photo myself though, it was from Gothamist, I could only WISH to see SP in that good of a mood.