9.01.2010

Retraction

About a year ago I wrote a glowing review of 230 Fifth, but was admittedly a bit of a hater when it came to their signature red robes. I'm a believer that people should really think about the weather when dressing to go out and take into account how much time is going to be spent outdoors. If you're going to a windy rooftop bar on a cooler summer night, bring a damn jacket. This avoids annoying whining and bitching about the cold, and most people have that friend who is constantly guilty of this. However, on Thursday I had to eat my words as I sat shivering at 230 Fifth. I looked around at the bar and saw about half of the patrons clad in red synthetic fleece/terry cloth blend, and it still made me a little queasy. Then a gust of wind came by, I rationalized that dozens of other self-respecting New Yorkers had sacrificed fashion for warmth, and grabbed the nearest robe. It felt heavenly. Despite the mystery fabric, the robes are incredibly soft and actually make the wooden benches and metal chairs more comfortable. And you can't look like a fool if everyone looks like a fool, it all gets cancelled out. Maybe the robes are actually a little bit tongue in cheek, a slight "eff you" to uppity New York fashion? I guess when in Rome... But if you do join the cool kids and indulge in a robe, just don't keep the hood up. You look silly and it's NEVER that cold during rooftop bar season in NYC. So I'm sorry, robes. Accept my appology?

No comments: