9.12.2010

Fashion Week Day 2: Fashion's Night Out

Complete insanity. I'm just barely recovering now, a day and a half later. From the moment I tried to exit the subway at Prince Street on Friday night I knew Fashion's Night Out was going to be craziness. I have never seen so many people trying to walk up the subway stairs short of Halloween in the West Village, and the streets were also swelling with a massive slow moving crowd walking from store to store (in heels on cobblestone...fun!). We popped in and out of numerous stores along Prince Street in search of free champagne, and even though I questioned the validity of events and freebies on Fashion's Night Out encouraging people to shop, I did break down and buy a bra in Calvin Klein. But...at 75% off!

Our primary destination for the night was a party at the Elie Tahari store. The party had an Old Manhattan theme with old fashioned cocktails and champagne, an antique polaroid photographer, and a musical performance by the Nunziata twins Anthony and Will of classic standards. The store was beautiful, and the subtle details such as the cocktail waitresses' 1920's style hats were perfection. Elie Tahari himself even made an appearance which was absolutely a treat.

After one too many glasses of champagne and one chaotic crowd moment on the way home as Karl Lagerfeld exited his car (not that I even got to see him through the excitement), Fashion's Night Out officially wore me out. Good that so many people were so excited about fashion, bad that they all chose to exercise this excitement in the same five block radius. Fashion's Night Out on my couch next year is sounding pretty damn good.

No comments: