10.26.2009

I like shiny

Sequins are shaping up to be a huge trend for this fall, and I welcome it with open arms! In honor of last week's Cosmo Challenge to take a flashy fashion risk and wear sequins, I decided to embrace my (possibly unhealthy) love of all things shiny and inventory the sequined items in my wardrobe. The results show that perhaps I've gone a bit overboard, especially since many of the items were purchased before the current heyday of sequins. I stand by the fact that all of the below are fabulous on their own...but mixing too many could be literally blinding.

1. Black cardigan with sequined stripes. Actually very practical!
2. Gold wife-beater tank top fully covered in sequins. Wore to a Spice Girls concert during last year's reunion tour...perhaps the only place it's appropriate.
3. Three sequined headbands (black, silver, and gold). Purchased recently after losing a previous black sequined headband awhile back while traveling.
4. Headband with ginormous black sequined bow. Purchased for upcoming TBA Halloween costume and will never be worn again. (that's a lie)
5. Gold scarf/headband with tightly concentrated sequins on the ends which gradually become sporadic towards the middle.
6. Silver/black sequined breast place necklace
7. Grey sweater-dress with scattered silver sequins at top and bottom. Wore on my b-day 2008/the night Barack Obama won the Presidential election. Proving it's a good thing. (pictured at right)
8. Magenta tank top with sequined straps, neckline, and empire waist trim. Legitimately looks like something you wore as a dance costume in 3rd grade. Was worn once 5 years ago during a cast party and will probably never be worn again. *sniff sniff*
9. Magenta tank top with vertical silver sequin stripe down the middle. Completely different from #9.
10. Teal tank top with gold sequins at the top and bottom, plus hints of gold glitter. Wore on my 21st bday, 2005. Very Jersey-Shore-tastic. (pictured at left, vintage 2006 shot)
11. Green tank top with gold sequins at the neckline. Completely different from #11...
12. Teal dress almost completely covered in sequins. Was the ish back in 2005 but now kinda reminds me of a mermaid.
13. Brown velor tracksuit with gold sequin trim on the zipper and down the leg. This is where it starts to get tragic (or did it already?)
14. Sea-green tank top with butterflies made out of silver sequins, circa 2004. Officially vom-ing in my mouth. Possibly time for a closet clean-out.

And two recent purchases that I justified after learning of the trend (but now may be re-thinking...):
15. Purple draped tunic-top with sequins on the shoulder (Forever 21, $19.80)

The debatable shame of this experiment has made me very glad I'd previously parted with a gold sequined slouchy purse (purchased at the Jersey Shore, obvi) and a gold sequined stretchy belt. My name is Megan, and I'm a sequin-a-holic.

Hi, Megan...

No comments: