8.11.2010

Speed chaos

I don't know how much actual dating went on at last night's "World's Largest Singles Dating Event", but there was a lot of flirting, awkward rejection, and not-so-organized chaos.

SingleAndTheCity.com and Groupon held an event at Slate in an attempt to break the record for the World's Largest Dating Event. I think the number of "daters" for the record was determined by those participating in one of 12 themed speed dating sessions, but like many things at this event that was unclear. Participants bought admission to the party at Slate on Groupon, and then had access to a multitude of activities and freebies throughout the night: a margarita cocktail hour, appetizers, light desserts, "speed gaming" (match-ups in pool and ping pong), free advice from a flirting coach, love tarot card readings, photo booths, free condoms scattered throughout the venue, and the main events of the speed date sessions. Daters were encouraged to sign up for a particular session ahead of time, but this system became irrelevant as the speed dating sessions (especially the later ones as people enjoyed more and more free margs) became more of a free-for-all. Usually speed dating is highly organized and scheduled to a T, but at last night's event daters were coming and going from their "assigned" seats as they pleased. Which unfortunately made the flow of speed dating all but impossible.

I suppose drunk twenty, thirty, and (unfortunately) forty-somethings don't appreciate organization as much as I do, because everyone seemed to be having a really good time. The general mixing areas were crowded, lively, and at times contained more sexual tension than an episode of Gossip Girl. Unfortunately there were probably almost twice as many women as men, so the few really attractive guys had a small harem surrounding them. I did spot several budding one-on-one connections developing deep into the night, and one couple leaving hand in hand after canoodling in the corner for quite some time.

Myself? I was approached a few times by 4's and 5's (along with numerous event photographers), but couldn't snag the attention of any of the guys I really had my eye on. But I got some free drinks, some yummy chicken skewers, and learned that I need to work on my approach anxiety. I suppose when free apps, good people watching, and self-discovery are involved, the night can never be a total loss.

2 comments:

dawn said...

Pretty accurate description of last night's http://www.OnSpeedDating.Com event. "speed chaos"! And despite all the chaos and lack of organization I too had a blast!

tallblonde said...

pretty accurate description of last night's http://www.OnSpeedDating.Com event..."speed chaos"...although I too loved every last minute of it.