5.28.2010

Team Pissed

I'm a nerd and had an amazon.com alert set to tell me when the DVD for "Glee: Season 1, Volume 2" became available for pre-order. Being that season 1, volume 1 was released at the very end of 2009 just shortly after the first part of the season wrapped, I figured that the second half of the season would be released in June or early July. Which is soon, which made me Team Excited!

However, I became Team Pissed when I got an alert from Amazon about my much-anticipated volume 2, went to the website to place my pre-order, and realized that the selection came up as "Glee: The Complete First Season" at the "discounted" price of $41.99. And after another search on Amazon and the internets in general, there was no volume 2 DVD to be found. Wtf, Glee? You really think I'm going to spend almost double what I paid on my first DVD and re-buy 13 episodes just to get the new ones? (which in my opinion dropped in quality and became too gimmicky)

Glee and Fox Entertainment are seriously pissing me off and insulting my intelligence as a consumer. Us Glee fans love the opportunity to purchase the music and footage of our favorite show, but I am not such a Gleek that I have to own every piece of merchandise you thrust on me when it means having double copies and throwing my money at an already filthy rich corporation. I watch and love Glee because of the way it makes me feel, but that feeling comes from the content NOT the satisfaction of the pretty packaging of a full boxed set. You've found a way to also milk 5+ CD releases out of this season, which have been huge best sellers! How dumb do you think we are, Fox? Not all Glee fans are high schoolers with a disposable income from their parents. Glee has a huge and passionate fan base of twenty-something former glee or theatre kids, myself included. We graduated from college, got hit hard by the recession, and are struggling to find jobs or working entry level with no advancement. We're not buying your marketing crap, literally.

It would be a huge mistake for Fox not to release a DVD edition containing only the second half of the season (March-June 2010). The e-alerts for the DVD have been out for less than 12 hours and backlash has already started. Without these buyers, where are a few extra dollars from tweens buying the full season really getting you, Fox?

No comments: