2.19.2010

"Idol" scandals already...shocker

The American Idol top 24 was announced this week and frankly my dear, I barely give a damn. I've fallen asleep during many of my attempts to watch this season's episodes, even during my beloved Hollywood week, because so far this season has suuuuuucked! (and admittedly I've usually been drunk)

A few weeks ago there was a rumor that Michael Lynch had been DQed (disqualified, not Dairy Queen-ed) because his father prematurely revealed his top 24 success to a local newspaper. Well, it's looking more and more like that was just a rumor because Michael is slated to compete in Wednesday's first male semi-final round. And I'm cool with that because I like this dude.

Then this week the REAL scandal broke involving Chris Golightly. Allegedly, homeboy had been under contract with a boyband and neglected to disclose that information to the producers. The contract ended a month before Golightly's Idol audition so technically he would have been eligible. However, he brushed over the truth about this in his initial paperwork, and apparently his manager effed up and couldn't find the proof that Golightly was a free man, so he was bumped from the competition in the final hour and replaced by Tim Urban. Cue some very creative editing during the top 24 announcement episode. But I'm also fairly cool with this because Tim is quite the hottie in a cougar cub/Zefron kind of way.

First of all, Golightly clearly has his priorities messed up if he was willing to walk away from a perfectly good boyband for American Idol. Secondly, I'm of the mindset that if you have a manager you probably shouldn't be auditioning anyway. I'm all about my Idol being an every-man type. Third of all, with all the shadiness and "lost paperwork" perhaps the Idol producers had to fudge all this to cover the fact the Golightly (btw best name EVER) was actually in-eligible due to Justin Guarini's 10 year racially-ambiguous-white-boy-with-a-fro monopoly. Because Guarini is a diva and can't take the competition.

FOURTH OF ALL, Idol is pissing me off for cutting arguably their best competitor, Thaddeus Johnson. This kid can sing better than most of the people they've had on the show in the past three years, yet somehow he was deemed unworthy of making the semi-finals. Really?!? Maybe they just knew that he would give a fantastic crying/screaming/cursing/locking himself in a bathroom stall fit upon receiving the bad news. And I'm really supposed to believe that it's still about the music?

No comments: