3.16.2010

So over it

Around this time last year I started live blogging performance nights of the top 12 of American Idol. As much as I'm sure you were all waiting with baited breath for these live blogs to resume, I've decided to not carry on the tradition this year. There's not one contestant left in the game who is making me even want to watch American Idol let alone write about it for two hours every week. Going into the semi-finals I wasn't impressed with the pool of talent, and anyone with a unique vibe, decent voice, or molecule of performance ability has already been voted off. Within the first two weeks we lost Tyler Grady (Jim Morrison meets The Darkness) and Jermaine Sellers (he rocked the onesie, and very successfully channeled Kid Cudi in the fashion dpt). Then Todrick Hall ("Todrick is my name...", dancer, and all around amazingness) and Lilly Scott (lavender blonde, fierce style, and amazing raspy indie-pop voice) were cut just shy of the top 12 which has sucked the excitement (and talent) right out of the show.

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure the producers are messing with our minds and putting words in the judges' mouths to convince us to keep certain undeserving contestants in the game. Why? Who knows. There is no way Lee Dewize still deserves to be here based on voice, yet week after week the judges praise his grating and pitchy performances. Katie Stevens clearly turned out to be a lounge-singing bore, but was dubbed an early favorite so continues to be encouraged on "potential". Plus teenagers are cute and make good human interest stories, right? Michael Lynche was clearly groomed to be a favorite, but actually has talent and provides entertainment so I can't argue. But Crystal Bowersox? Just because she's something different than we've ever had on Idol doesn't mean we have to praise her and let her through. Different doesn't mean better. Side note: does Idol do drug testing?

These are the top 12 singers/performers in the country? Well then I'm sad for us, America. With no standout vocalists AND no standout performers American Idol has totally lost me, and I'm sure I can find something better to do at 8pm on Tuesday nights.

1 comment:

matthew a said...

I haven't watched a single episode this season and I feel like I'm not missing much. All I ever read is how all the good singers are getting the ax.

Buuuuuuut, can't wait for X-Factor!