3.14.2011

Long skirts: Pretty or Pilgrim?

Long skirts, anywhere from just below the knee to floor grazing, seem to be popping up in every major retailer for spring 2011. This trend seems odd to me since spring and summer are the time when we usually reveal more skin, but I can't deny the chicness of this look. These skirts seem to be the natural progression of the overdone maxi-dress. I tried a few on this weekend but haven't been able to fully commit to the look. I felt pretty, romantic, and comfortable in the flowy fabrics, but couldn't shake the feeling that I was seriously compromising my sex appeal. Are these skirts too bag-lady boho? Too high school orchestra? Too Mayflower chic? If you do decide to try it make sure to keep the look modern by making the accessories chunky, the shoes delicate, and the shirt not too tight but not too loose. I've also seen great success pairing these skirts with belts in American Apparel's current window display and Express's lookbook.

Express, $49.90 ($39.90 in stores)


American Apparel, $52 (also available in ankle length)

No comments: